Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Word

Col. 1:9-14
And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with e knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

When I have previously memorized a passage, prayed it, and then read it at a later time in my daily Bible reading, it is like coming home! I have that wonderful feeling of 'I know this' and 'I need to pray this again.' How glorious is the Word! It never becomes stale with too much repetition. It is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to who we must give account. How powerful!

This prayer is so intense and insightful! Not only do I pray that others will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, but at the same time, I am praying that same thing for me. In essence the Word is  double-sided. On one side it is a mirror reflecting my heart and exposing my sin, but on the other side, I can pray that the Holy Spirit will do these same things in the lives of others.

As I am filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, I can begin to walk in a manner that is pleasing to the Lord. I can bear fruit and increase in His knowledge. In order to do this, I need to be strengthened, not in myself, reform, or willpower, but in His power according to His glorious might for all endurance and patience with joy. God's end result is patience with joy and endurance not frustration, failure, discouragement. He makes all the difference! When life is lived in His power and grace, than the divine flows out through the human. He is the One who delivered me from the domain of darkness. He is the One who redeemed me giving me forgiving my sin. It seems silly after He has done all this for me that I would now try and live pleasing to Him in my own strength. How foolish!

Father,
Strengthen me according to Your might so that I might walk worthy of You and live each day with endurance and patience with joy bringing honor to Your name.
In Him,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment