Monday, June 24, 2013

Mary and Martha

Lk. 10:41-42
But the Lord answered her, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.
 
Even though Jesus was welcomed into the home of Mary and Martha by both of them, He was received in very different ways. As soon as Mary saw Him, she sat at His feet listening to every word that He said. But as the hostess, Martha was distracted with much serving.  From her point of view, she was doing all the work while Mary was sitting listening. How unfair! Her feelings were so strong that she went up to Jesus and asked, Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Were her feelings unjustified? No, she was doing all the work! Even though her works were good, and even necessary at some point, were they her best choice? Had she focused on what was good but was neglecting what was the best? Had the routine of her life become more important that a meeting with the Savior? How many times have I fallen into this trap? Accomplishing my chores and schedules but neglecting my time with God.
 
Jesus answered her question, Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her. Jesus had identified the source of her problem. It was not unfair distribution of labor; instead, it was anxiety. Anxiety was sucking the life out of her sapping her spiritual strength leaving her burdened and hurt!  Whereas Mary was at the feet of Jesus renewing her spirit. In reality, isn't this prayer? Isn't prayer where I sit at the feet of Jesus listening to Him and making my heart at one with His? Mary's priorities were in place. She knew that time with Jesus was of far greater eternal significance that being a good hostess. She was living out the principles of Phil. 4:19. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. The 'anything' in this verse includes the endless list of routines and chores that must be done to run a house effectively. It even includes receiving guests into our homes. When I am the hostess, do I pull a Martha? Am I more worried about the 'serving' than the quality of time spent with guests? Has my attitude lessened the opportunity for significant spiritual conversation? Something to think about and pray about!
 
Father,
Teach me choose the better part. Help me put every area of my life into right proportion so that I might bring glory to Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment