Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Working Out with God Who Is Working In

Phil. 2: 12-13
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only is in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you both to will and to work for His good pleasure.
 
How clearly Paul stated the relationship of my work and God's working! I am to work out my salvation with fear and trembling, growing and pursuing what will produce godliness in my life. Then immediately in the same sentence, he stresses that it is God who works in you to will and to work for His good pleasure. My life lived by the grace of God does not mean that I do nothing, but it means that what I do will be energized and powered by God so that His purpose will be accomplished in my life. In I Cor. 15:10 Paul states this same dichotomy again. But by the grace of God I am what I am and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. Even though it is clearly stated, it is hard to understand how this works. What do I do? What does He do? It would be so much easier if I had a guide sheet to follow, but then it would be by my works. Where would the faith walk be? Would I be trusting Him? What purpose would faith and trust have if I knew what to do? How quickly would my flesh jump in to conquer and control of this were the case!
 
In this same passage Paul mentions grumbling and questioning. The absence of these should be a reality in my life so that I might be a blameless and innocent child of God in the midst of this crooked world. If I just tackled these two areas, I could accomplish them for quite awhile, but would MY doing them make me blameless before God? No, but if my heart's desire was to obey, and I sought God's help and grace for obedience praying and saturating myself in His Word, then these same two actions could be done for His good pleasure. They could make me a blameless, innocent child of God. Perhaps this dichotomy is one of motives and beginnings. Where is my heart before I obey? Do I seek grace in every situation? Am I praying all the while so that the Spirit is there constantly guiding my steps and actions? Am I praying His word as I obey His Word? Am I asking Him to teach me how this dichotomy works? Or am I just plowing ahead letting my self-will take the lead? Self-will is wrong no matter how right the choice! I must let His will take control of my life so that all I do will be a shining light in the world holding forth the Word of life.
 
Father,
Teach me how this works. Even though I don't fully understand, I will trust You to make it a reality in my life. I will surrender and obey. I confess that many times I have tried to accomplish things in my own strength. Convict me mightily whenever I do that again.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment