Monday, June 17, 2013

Why?

Col. 2:20
If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations...
 
Paul has built a logical case against earthly things claiming a believer's heart, things like visions, asceticism, and worship of angels which are merely shadows of things. These things puff up the sensuous mind and rely on human precepts and teachings. He simply asks if with Christ you have died to the elemental spirits of the world, why do you submit to them. Why do you give them any place at all in your life? Why are you not clinging wholeheartedly to the Lord? The question seems like a no-brainer, yet it is one that plagues believers. Paul assures them that These things have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh. In fact they feed the flesh and human pride. Could that be the problem? Are believers indulging their flesh because it gratifies their flesh?
Or could it be that believers do not truly understand what it means to have died with Christ and then be raised in resurrection life? Are they trying to hold on to the world and to their new life in Christ at the same time? I am thinking that for every believer the reason might be different. For me, I must look deeply in my heart to discover what is in my heart. I don't want to feed my flesh, nor do I want to hold on to the world and Christ at the same time. I think I am beginning to understand what it means live in resurrection power. As I cling to Christ, I am realizing that He is in me making me grow in Him through His marvelous grace. I do purpose to submit to Christ in all things and let Him work in and through me.
 
Father,
Convict my heart and spirit whenever I fall into the trap of indulging my flesh. I confess that I do that many times. Continue to grow me in Christ so that I may honor You in all things.
In Him,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment