Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Unity and Humility

Phil. 2:5
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.
 
What specifically was Paul meaning when he referred to the mind of Christ? The passage begins with unity. Paul's joy would be complete if they were of the same mind and same love, begin in full accord and of one mind. In addition to unity, he stressed humility. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Unity might be doable but counting others more significant crosses over the line. It is human nature to want to gratify and nurture self. No doubt that is the point! This unity and humility can not be accomplished in the flesh, but it must be Spirit grown and controlled. How? By having the mind of Christ!
 
Certainly Christ was the example. His unity of mind and love with the Father was clearly taught. He did nothing apart from the Father's will. As I seek His unity, then my heart must be at one with the Father and the Son. When this is a reality, then I will be unified with the body of Christ. If all members of the body are in this state of spiritual unity, then there will be no discord. The vertical relationship makes the horizontal relationships a reality.
 
Concerning humility, Christ was the perfect example as well! He gave up all that was rightfully His to offer Himself for humanity. He made Himself nothing and became a servant humbling Himself to the point of death, death on a cross! As I think about His humility, I know that I could never do that unless He was totally controlling and working in me. But He is not asking me to die for someone else only to count them more significant than myself. When I compare that to dying, it seems like so much less, but when I think about what it would mean practically, somehow it assumes its rightful size. The point being: I need to cultivate the mind of Christ by praying specifically for humility, by seeking it as I study and read, and by following the promptings of the Spirit. I need to loosen my grip on my desires and plans and give way for God to open up doors of humble service to others.
 
Father,
Reveal to me where my heart wants its own way. Give me a humble heart willing to learn and to serve. Teach me the mind of Christ so that my choices will glorify You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment