Sunday, August 7, 2011

Broken Cisterns

Jer. 2:13
"For my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water."

How horrible was Israel's plight! Their religion was merely a form, an ineffective man-made religion that allowed them to commit two heinous evils. First they had forsaken God, the fountain of living water, and for what?? Broken cisterns that could hold no water. What a graphic picture of man-made religion. It replaces the real, living thing with an empty form. What a warning for me! Have I reduced any part of my relationship with God to a waterless, broken cistern? Have I attempted to replace any part of God's living water, His gracious love, and His abundant grace with something of my own works, something that I deem worthy of God's notice, or something that has given me the praise of man? 

Father,
Draw me away from hewing out useless cisterns. Show me my foolish works. Keep me gulping voraciously at Your living fountains. Thank You for such a great gift of living water. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment