Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Call to Mind

Lam. 3:22-26
"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."  The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD."


What a beautiful promise right in the midst of so much sorrow! Affliction had not destroyed the man who had seen so much sorrow, but he would never forget it. Not only did his memories include all the wormwood and gall, but his soul was heavy and bowed down within him. Yet in the midst of all this negative came one shining positive. "But this I call to mind..." He refused to focus completely on his circumstances, but instead remembered what he knew to be true about God. He remembered God's steadfast love never ceased, His mercies never ended, and His faithfulness was great. Could a man as afflicted as this experience God's love and mercy? Yes, he could. He cried out in great hope. God was his portion, his life preserver in the midst of flood waters. Once he had crossed over and come to God for what he needed, then he was assured of God's goodness to him and to all who waited on Him. He could wait! He would wait! His deliverer and deliverance was in his very midst!

Father,
Help me call to mind all that is true about You. Forgive me for focusing on circumstances instead of waiting and resting in You for my deliverance.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment