Friday, August 26, 2011

The Good and the Bad

Lam. 3:36
"Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come?"

What a question? People for centuries have discussed the truth of it, but for sure, God knows. After all, He is sovereign God. All things come from Him, either directly or indirectly. However, that thought staggers the mind! Why would a God who so lovingly sent His Son to die for us so that we might be saved have this other side to His nature? Perhaps, because He is just as just as He is loving. Of course, I can't understand because He has said that my thoughts are not His thoughts. I see only the here and now with a small window of the past, but He sees from infinity to infinity. I see only the human tragedy that affects my small circle, He sees the tragedies that affect the entire course of nations and humanity. But still, even knowing all that, I think the biggest problem is the pride of all men. We think that we are worth something, that our tasks on earth can only be completed by us, and that we fill only this space specifically. But God says, "As for man, he is like the grass. He flourishes like the flower of the field, for the wind passes over it and it is gone. It's place knows it no more."  What can I say to that? Thankfully, God knows our frame and remembers that we are dust. His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness is a shield and buckler. When the terrible comes, I must trust. I must say, "My refuge and my fortress. My God in whom I trust." Do I trust Him in today's tragedy, a tragedy that seems without any redeeming grace? Do I trust Him to work out the future as He sees best? I often think of Ps. 91:1 from my point of view, that is that I am protected and cushioned from all things by the shelter and shadow of the Almighty, but that verse is a little different from God's point of view. He is saying, "Do you trust me enough so that you will be abiding in my shadow?" Perhaps these terrible times are just for that reason. In the dark places and dark times, we see what are trust is really like, but what to say to others? Do we need to defend God and what He has allowed? Maybe it is so hard for us because there is no way in the world that puny man can defend Almighty God. I think I just need to share what is true about God and what He has revealed for me to know. Above that it is a trust issue. Can I trust God to work even in these terrible situation?

Father,
Build my trust through You abundant grace. Let it never falter. When I grieve, fill me up with Your grace. When I am unsure, reassure me. When I am at a loss for words, let Your Spirit speak through me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment