Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Call


Ezk. 2:1-2
"And he said to me, "Son of man, stand on your feet, and I will speak with you." And as He spoke to me, the Spirit entered into me and set me on my feet, and I heard Him speaking to me...."Son of man, I sent you to the people of Israel..."

In the first chapter of Ezekiel, Ezekiel had a vision revealing the glory of God, a vision like nothing that he had ever seen. Ezekiel immediately fell on his face in humility and awe, but God commanded him to stand. He wanted words with Ezekiel, a call for him to be the watchman. What would the watchman do? He would speak the words of God to the people. No doubt, Ezekiel knew exactly how hard this task would be since is people were a hard, stiff-necked, rebellious people. How would he do this? Where was his power? The answer came in the words of God. When God spoke, His Spirit entered Ezekiel! The watchman must be empowered by the Spirit of God. [True for Ezekiel and true for me.] When I became a child of God, his Spirit entered me so that I might be used of God. Without the Spirit's leading, directing, and empowering, I am a noisy gong, useless, and functioning only for my self-glory.

Then God spoke again. "Son of man, eat whatever you find here. Eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel. So I opened my mouth, and He gave me this scroll  to eat. And He said to me, "Son of man, feed your belly with this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it." Then I ate it and it was in my mouth as sweet as honey." The next essential was the Word of God. As Ezekiel ate the words, so I am to eat His words, to feed my belly and my stomach. Jeremiah said a similar thing, "Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by Your name, O Lord, God of hosts." Not only does the Word needs to be eaten totally, but it needs to be eaten frequently. It is not only my power source, but it is my joy source. After Ezekiel was filled with the Spirit and had feasted on the Word, he was ready to be the watchman God wanted him to be.

Father,
Keep me ever aware of Your Spirit within. Train my heart and ear to listen. Give me a hunger for Your words that nothing that the world offers will ever take its place. Keep me listening, learning, feasting, and serving.
In Jesus name,
Amen


16 And at the end of seven days, the word of the LORD came to me:


17 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment