Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No Boast

Jer. 9:23-24
"Thus says the Lord: Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord."

God says it clearly. What man normally boasts in, that is his wisdom, strength, and riches, are nothing in God's eyes. After all, where did that wisdom, strength, and riches originate? Wasn't it a gift from God anyway? Instead of God being impressed with man's boasting, it reeks of an ungrateful spirit in his nostrils. Instead of making Him understand and value man's worth, it makes Him heart sick. But on the opposite side of the coin, what He does love is the fact that man knows Him personally, that man knows He is a God of steadfast love, justice, and righteousness. God only desires a personal relationship with man that is based, not in what man has to offer, but in what and who God is.

In Jer. 7:9-10 God asks a heart wrenching question. "Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you have not known, and then come and stand before Me in this house, which is called by my name and say, 'We are delivered! --only to go on doing all these abominations? Has this house which is called by My name become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold I Myself have seen it declares the Lord." What a spiritual state Israel was in! They defiled the house of God by living totally man centered all the while claiming His blessing and protection.  Only a man who trusts in his own wisdom, strength, and riches would attempt such a heinous thing!

How close to home do these words come to believers today! How many times do we come to the House of God with our minds elsewhere, with our hearts lusting after what the world has to offer, or sadly, how many times do we not even come to the House of God because we are too busy elsewhere? Are we fooling God? No, He knows and sees all just like He did so many years ago. Where is my heart? Am I wholeheartedly God's? What is my boast? What idols are hidden away in the dark places of my heart?

Father,
Convict my heart. Reveal to me what is robbing me of my time with You. Give me Your grace and strength to meet You in prayer each day in Your house. Help me to be surrendered and dependent on You so that  You alone are my boast.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment