Thursday, August 18, 2011

In the Mud

Jer. 38:6
"So they took Jeremiah and cast him into the cistern of Malchiah, the king's son, which was in the court of he guard, letting Jeremiah down by ropes. And there was not water in the cistern, but only mud, and Jeremiah sank in the mud."

Many times I have felt mired down in mud, but Jeremiah was actually in the mud! Even more than that, his life was in jeopardy. But God intervened through the king's eunuch who went and pleaded for his life. He was lifted out with a rope, old rags, and worn out clothes. The rags and old clothes protected his armpits as they lifted him out of the cistern. 

What was Jeremiah thinking when he was in this horrible place, deserted and alone.  "As the deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God...My tears have been my food day and night." Or "O Lord, make me know the end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am."  I am sure that he was convinced his life was fleeting fast! I am sure he cried out, "Deliver me from sinking in the mire; let me be delivered from my enemies and from the deep waters."  Then on his way up, I can hear him praising God as he said, "He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure."

Father,
As I go through the mud and mire, help me to focus on You, to remember to cry out for your deliverance, and to praise You for the outcome.
In Jesus name,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment