Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Certainty

Jer. 42:18-20
"For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: As my anger and my wrath were poured out on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so my wrath will be poured out on you when you go to Egypt. You shall become an execration, a horror, a curse, and a taunt. You shall see this place no more. The LORD has said to you, O remnant of Judah, 'Do not go to Egypt.'Know for a certainty that I have warned you this day that you have gone astray at the cost of your lives. For you sent me to the LORD your God, saying, 'Pray for us to the LORD our God, and whatever the LORD our God says declare to us and we will do it.'

Israel had asked Jeremiah to inquire of the Lord about their journey to Egypt. The answer was simply: do not go to Egypt. If they did, it would mean dire consequences; in fact, it would be at the cost of their lives. God had spelled it out in great detail; They would become an execration, a horror, a curse, and a taunt! How in depth was His wrath! It is mind staggering that Israel didn't believe Jeremiah! They chose to go against the prophet's message. What was God's response? "Behold, I am watching them for disaster and not for good. All the men of Judah who are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by sword and famine."
 
God's words are always true and certain. But what was the spiritual condition of His people? They knew enough to ask the prophet to speak to God, but not enough to obey what he said. Perhaps they just wanted God's stamp of approval on their own plans. But what about Jeremiah? Was he collateral damage? God spoke to him saying, "I am bringing disaster upon all flesh...but I will give you your life as a prize of war in all places to which you may go." What a hard go Jeremiah had! He had to proclaim God's words to a people who refused rejected it completely. Would I be as strong? Would I stand firm speaking out God's word in the face of rebellion?
 
Father,
Give me strength not only to obey Your words but also to stand strong in proclaiming Your words even in the face of rejection.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment