Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Potter's Hand

Jer. 18:6
"O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? declares the Lord. Behold like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel."

God desires a soft, pliable heart. He wants to mold and shape me into what is best for me, into what His sovereign plan has dictated in eternity past. But sadly, Israel resisted, and many times, so do I. Why was Israel, and why am I so resistant to the work of God in my life? Is the pull of the world so strong? Is my heart so divided?

Paul echoes this similar struggle in Rom. 7 where he said he wanted to what was right but he lacked the ability to carry it out. Instead of doing good, he did the evil that he abhorred. Paul found the law to be: evil lies close at hand to block the good. Then he cried out, "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Jesus died for this very purpose, to deliver me from the body of death. Like nature, I am groaning in pains of childbirth waiting for my final adoption as a child of God, the redemption of our bodies. Until then, I must wait soaking myself in His word allowing it to keep my heart soft and pliable. I must pray for my heart to be united to His.

Father,
Give me Your strength. Keep my heart united to Yours. Help me learn to be Your clay.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment