Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Not Without Cause

Ezk. 14:21-23
"For thus says the Lord GOD: How much more when I send upon Jerusalem my four disastrous acts of judgment, sword, famine, wild beasts, and pestilence, to cut off from it man and beast! But behold, some survivors will be left in it, sons and daughters who will be brought out; behold, when they come out to you, and you see their ways and their deeds, you will be consoled for the disaster that I have brought upon Jerusalem, for all that I have brought upon it. They will console you, when you see their ways and their deeds, and you shall know that I have not done without cause all that I have done in it, declares the Lord GOD."


Even though I know that I, and many others, have wondered what was God trying to accomplish by allowing certain things to happen, I know that He knows what is best. He wants me to trust His hand in orchestrating all the details of life, but I was encouraged as I read these verses. Ezekiel was seeing horrible images of destruction: sword, famine, beasts,and pestilence. He knew ahead of time what was to happen to his people, his people who had totally rejected their God. What an ache in his heart! There was nothing he could do, but God gave him a consoling word. After he had witnessed the destruction of Jerusalem, he would seen coming out  certain survivors, sons and daughters with godly deeds and ways. God would preserve a remnant of people who truly loved him. God was showing Ezekiel that there was mercy within His hand of judgment. It would only be then that Ezekiel would know that God was not acting without a cause. God has a cause in all that He does!! If it was hard for Ezekiel the prophet who saw so many future things, no wonder it is hard for me. I am wondering if part of the reason for Christians today not understanding events is because ignorance of future events might be more peaceful than knowing what is to come down. Just a thought...

Father,
Help me to trust in the fact that You do all things for a cause whether I understand it or not.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment