Thursday, August 12, 2010

All Things Are Possible

Mk. 9:23-24
"All things are possible for one who believes." Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, "I believe, help my unbelief."
The father of a young boy who had an unclean spirit came to Jesus. Before he asked for help, he addressed Jesus as teacher showing that he knew Jesus spoke with authority, but did he believe Jesus was a great miracle worker? Could he be coming as a last-ditch effort? I mean what did he have to lose? As the father spoke out, he simply asked for compassion and help from Jesus. Jesus replied by going to the heart of the issue: All things are possible for one who believes. Even though it sounded simple, it was not. Belief is a hard issue because this belief required faith, faith in Jesus, not just as a teacher but as a miracle worker. Did the father have this kind of belief?

The father's response was so insightful, "I believe, help my unbelief." What faith and reality in that statement! Even though he believed, he realized that human weakness would always taint his belief. In his simple statement, he admitted his weakness and cried out for God's grace, the grace he needed for the faith to believe. Human strength is powerless in this arena! What a pattern for me to follow! In the midst of my belief I always need to cry out for His help.

Father,

Help my unbelief! Show me the way to faith and belief in Your possibilities for my life.

In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment