Monday, August 30, 2010

For the Battle Is the Lord's

I Sam. 17:47
"And that all the assembly may know that the Lord saved not with sword and spear. For the battle is the Lord's, and He will give you into our hand."
Even though David could have had many reasons why he thought he could win this fight, he knew only one reason could bring the victory, that was knowing that the battle was God's.
Athough David was a key player, he knew unwaveringly that he was God's instrument. What an example of grace! It was God's grace alone that allowed David to do great things for his God. First, David was young, small, and inexperienced in battle. In addition to this, he was scorned by his brothers and considered only a messenger boy. Yet none of that mattered to David because His heart was in sync with the heart of God. Goliath's taunts were not just aimed at him, his family, or even his nation, but they were aimed at his God. David's initial reaction was "who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?" In this question, David identifies these armies not as the armies of Israel but as the armies of the living God. His immediate response was not based on wounded national pride, but on his deep love and reverence for his God. He was concerned with the honor of his God.
Once again David's life stated the same thing when Saul wanted to dress David in his armor. Instead he chose 5 smooth stones and a sling. What chance did he have? From a human point of view none, but from God's point of view it was a different story. David knew the power of God because his heart was united with God's. When he came face to face with Goliath, Goliath laughed and mocked. What an insult this young man was to Goliath's pride! But David did not fear or doubt, instead he spoke confidently, "You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel." David was God's vessel, His messenger, and His voice. His concern was that all the earth would know there was a God in Israel. He wanted to uphold the name of God as holy before all who were there.
When a problem comes my way do I face it like David or Goliath? Do I grab my customary, fleshly armor and go after it confident in my own flesh? Or do I walk by faith using God's smooth stones, stones that are often mocked by the world? Is my heart focused on upholding the honor of the name of God before all those He has placed in my life?
Father,
Root out my self-sufficiency and focus my eyes only on You. Make Your grace my strength for every battle and problem in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment