Sunday, August 22, 2010

Trust

Ps. 29:7-8


"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright."



When I first read that verse, I thought who would trust in a horse or a chariot when they could trust in God? But realistically how strong is my trust? Certainly our culture has let actual horses and chariots go by the wayside, but in principle, they abound. This verse brings to mind Jer. 9:23-24 , "thus says the Lord, Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord." These horses and chariots are man's wisdom, might, and riches, all things that man accredits to his own achieving. But even if I realize all the things in my life are from God, I think I still make horses and chariots out of the most paltry things, my common sense or my stubborn will. Why would I ever think that I could figure out a situation better than God? Why does my stubborn will persist in trying to trump God?

If I don't trust in Him, the verse says that my grandiose plans will collapse and fall. How many times have I experienced that? Amazingly, I still persist. But if I trust in the Lord, I will rise and stand upright because my strength is in Him. "With God all things are possible." What wonderful words! Even though they fill my heart with joy, I struggle with the reality of them. How do I trust in the name of the Lord? I need to know Him by name in a close, intimate relationship that comes only through His Word. I must surrender and allow the Spirit full reign in my life. As the Spirit produces fruit, then my trust will grow. Trust in God is the fruit of grace, a living process that God freely grows in me.



Father,
Grow my trust in You so that my 'horses and chariots' will be vanquished. Help me to know Your name and to let You control my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment