Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Devotion

Mk. 14:6

"She has done a beautiful thing to me."

To do a beautiful thing for God is almost incomprehensible, but when I read this account, I know that I want that kind of love and devotion. But how? In the first place, if I do it, then it is self-motivated, and the beauty is completely gone. How do I do it out of grace? Where is that fine line between grace and my responsibility? Perhaps, that line is one of those things that I won't understand until I get to heaven, but I know it must be through the Holy Spirit. I must go forward with what I do understand allowing the Spirit do the rest. First, I see that she came prepared with the costly ointment. Not only was her heart prepared ahead of time, she was focused on devotion without concern for the opinion of others, either positively or negatively. She saw only Jesus. Is my heart this united? Can I truthfully say that I have no concern for the opinions of others? I know that far too often I care about what others think, their disapproval and their praise.

Secondly, she broke the alabaster flask and poured it over Jesus' head. Her devotion and love was costly. She didn't try and save the flask or even a portion of the ointment. Since Jesus was worthy of all that she had, she willingly gave it. It says in the note on my Bible that this ointment could have been sold for 300 days' wages. What a complete disregard for the world's system of value! Jesus had replaced her love of worldly possessions and worldly values by becoming her first and all-consuming love.

So what was the beautiful thing that she had done? Why did Jesus consider it so beautiful? I think He loved her complete surrender of all that was valuable in her life. To apply this to my life, I must give in sincerity, without any blemish of selfishness; I must give wholeheartedly without any holding back; and I must give passionately,without any fear of rejection or censure. What a passion for Jesus that transformed her from the mundane into the holy!

Finally, her act anointed Jesus for His burial and would be proclaimed wherever the gospel was preached. It would be remembered for years by generations upon generations. Since her devotion was so closely related to the gospel, it reminds me that my worship must always be focused on the cross. Without the cross, there is nothing. Coming to the cross constantly for the grace that I need to worship will make me passionate and sincere. I have to ask myself what will be remembered about my life? Will it be my impassioned and selfless devotion to Jesus?

Father,
Grow me so that my heart will be united in sincere and surrendered worship of Jesus. Fill me so full of Your grace that it will spill over into a love that conforms me to His image.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment