Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Let It Be to Me According to Your Word

Lk. 2:38
"And Mary said, 'Behold I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to Your word.' And the angel departed from her."
I have always marveled at the attitude of Mary in this situation. When I consider that her life had been drastically altered by the fact that she was to be a mother, and that not through the normal channels. I can't even imagine how she felt when she found out she would have the Son of God through the Holy Spirit and with the Most High overshadowing her. Whoa! What a truckload for a young girl to take in! Then if I factor in that she found out all of this from an angel, what a deal! From a human standpoint, she had to be incredulous even overwhelmed, yet her response was one of submission and obedience. How could this be? She didn't even need an adjustment period or time to process. Her response was instantaneous. What an example of godly obedience!
As I was reading this account again today, something I often gloss over hit me in the face. The first thing that the angel said was, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God." I think that this might be the key. Favor with God is really grace! Mary had grace from God for what God wanted her to do. Mary knew first hand the reality of II Cor. 12:9, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." God's power was her sufficiency through His grace. So when the unbelievable came down to her, His grace was her functioning power. His grace empowered her submission and her obedience.
Grace is the key to an obedient and submissive attitude for whatever God sends down to me. Sadly, there are times when I plunge in to the task in my flesh thinking I can accomplish something for God, but God says no. I need to remember that He didn't say, with Marcy all things are possible; He said "For nothing is impossible with God." Things are possible with God because He is the God of all grace! He wants to give us this grace for life. Grace for obedience, for submission, for belief, for enduring, and for accomplishing His will.
Father,
The more I read the more I see Your great grace. It is everywhere, but yet I have often overlooked it. I confess this. Reveal Your grace to me so that I might be your obedient, and submissive servant.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment