Saturday, August 7, 2010

Whoever Does the Will of God

Mk. 3:35

"For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother."

Once Christ is in the life, everything changes, even family. He forges a bond between believers that has divine grace as its binding force. His blood replaces the the blood of family ties. Once washed and reborn, the believer's entire focus desires the will of God not what the world has to offer. Just imagine the strength of relationship that happens in a family where Christ is the central focus. Family ties now rise above the bonds of the earthly to the vistas of the heavenly.

Jesus' own family was not supportive. "Then He went home and the crowd gathered again, so that they could not even eat. And when His family heard it, they went out to seize Him , for they were saying "He is out of His mind." Not a pretty picture! What had Jesus done to elicit this response from His family? He had been doing good, healing people, yet his family wanted to seize Him. Where was His close family support? Where was the understanding and love? Gone! When it comes to Jesus and His message, not all families survive. Maybe because families are so close, they focus on the feet of clay not the heart transformed. Even though Jesus had no feet of clay, to them, He was just a brother, not a messiah and a healer. Is this true for all families?Should I expect support in my family? Jesus said that the servant is not greater than the master. Certainly, my flawed humanity will be blatantly obvious to my family that is unless they share the same focus that I do. If they do, I can praise God that together we can do the will of God. What an admonition this is to me that the most important thing in my life is doing the will of God. I can not allow a good thing rob me of the best thing.

Father,
As I think of my heaven born family, I praise Your name. Keep Your will constantly in my focus and in my deeds. Help me to love, support, and show Your grace to those You've put in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment