Friday, August 27, 2010

Be All the More Diligent

II Pet. 1:10-11
"Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. For in this way there will be richly provided for you and entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
What are the qualities that I am to be diligently pursuing? The answer is in verses 6-7: faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, godliness, brotherly affection, and love. Of course, I would like to be filled with all of these things; but it is more than that, I need to be filled with them to make my calling and election sure. Just like in the preceding verses , it all comes down to God's part and my responsibility. Not only did God give me the promises in His Word, but all that I needed for life and godliness (v. 3-4). My part is saturating myself in the Word. If I am letting the Word fill me, than godliness will grow in me. Specifically, how do I exercise this diligence to make my calling and election sure? By being and growing in the Word, by seeing the fruit of my time in the Word resulting in Christian character, and by increasing in godliness and all the pertains to life. It all comes from the Word, not from my planning or striving! God gave me the calling and the election. He gave me the Word to grow and produce fruit, and He gave me what I needed to make my calling and election sure. What do I do? Open the pages and let the pages become one with my heart and spirit! How much time do I spend in the Word to grow my character? When my character is sinful, do I check to see if it corresponds to my time in the Word? Am I serious enough about growing to make the Word a priority in my life? Do I love God's Word for the gift that it is?
The end result of the Word in my life is that I have assurance. This is the way that God has provided for me; in fact, richly provided for me: the immeasurable riches of His grace in the amazing riches of His Word filling my life abundantly with life and all that pertains to godliness!!! The question of my final end is settled! God has provided me an entrance into the eternal kingdom of Jesus. What amazing grace!
Father,
Draw me powerfully into Your Word so that I may grow and produce fruit that will glorify You. I confess a carelessness toward sin, a toleration. Send Your Spirit to make me see my sin as You do. Thank You for providing my entrance into the kingdom of Jesus.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment