Wednesday, August 18, 2010

And the Word of the Lord Was Rare

I Sam. 3:21

"And the Lord appeared again at Shiloh, for the Lord revealed Himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the Lord."

Samuel knew the Lord by His Word. In the same way I know the Lord through His Word. The Bible is not just a book, or even the book of all books, it is a relationship. It is "living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Does this sound like an average book or even a bestseller? Am I listening for the voice of the Lord as I read His word? Do I cherish my time in the Word as I would time with a life-long friend?

Even though in 3:1 it says the word of the Lord was rare, it was still there. Amazingly God chose as His listener the young Samuel. So Cool! God chose a young man. Samuel didn't have to wait until he was older to serve because ministering to God is irrespective of age. 'Old gray-hairs' or 'young-innocents' are all prime candidates for service. God only wants dependent surrender. He wants me to be His vessel, molded by Him to serve as He directs and empowers.

I also love Samuel's response to God. After he realized that the voice was not Eli's, he was humbly waiting with the words, "Speak, for Your servant hears." His heart was the heart of a servant, one who lives to minister . He wanted nothing but to hear the will and the Word of God. I am convicted as I think of my response to the Word. How many times do I respond immediately, humbly, and willingly?

When Samuel was asked by Eli what God had told him, he repeated the fatal news. He was true to the calling that God had given him. What an devoted young man! His love, obedience, and submission characterized his entire life. "And Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him, and let none of His words fall to the ground." I love that phrase! He let none of God's Words fall to the ground for any reason, not from outright sin, carelessness, inattentiveness, or busyness. Do I ever let God's Word drop to the ground? How convicting!

Father,

Cleanse my heart. Refine my motives and my responses. Help me never to drop even one of Your precious Words. Give my grace to serve unfettered by my foolish heart. Speak, Lord, I am listening.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment