Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Lord Sees Not as Man Sees

I Sam. 16:7
"But the Lord said to Samuel, Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."
Samuel was sent to anoint a new king for Israel. As he came to the place that the Lord commanded, he looked on Eliab with favor. Perhaps Samuel was thinking that he would be a likely candidate, someone who was the picture of kingship. But God spoke to Samuel sharing with him the divine principle of choice, that is God looks on the heart not on the outward appearance. God doesn't choose His vessel by human standards! As Samuel continued on through all the sons of Jesse, he was perplexed since God had not given the go-ahead. Jesse then mentioned he had another son, his youngest and most unlikely candidate. By human standards, David's father felt he was only worthy of keeping the sheep. But by God's standards, he was the one whose heart was right. David had a heart that longed for God. When David was found and brought to Samuel, God gave the go-ahead. Samuel anointed him. Immediately the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon David from that day forward.
What a lesson for me! How many times do I think that I am not suited for something? How many times do I care too much about my outward appearance? How many times do I feel bad because someone else got chosen for something that I wanted to do? This story shows me the importance of my heart if I want to be used by God. Many times people choose other people for jobs because of reasons that they think are important, but rarely do these choices have anything to do with the heart. Can people truly know the heart of another person? But God knows exactly what is in the heart of every person. Nothing is hidden from Him. If I want to be used by Him, then I have to have a heart after God's heart. I can't be focused on any human element, but only on bringing glory to God. When my heart is united with His, then His Spirit is free to use me in a mighty way, in the way that God wants.
Father,
I confess my striving, my disappointments, and my wrong motives. Refine me so that my heart will desire only You. Let me to be Your vessel and use me as You see fit.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment