Sunday, August 1, 2010

Faith and Preservation

Heb. 10:39

"But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls."

Hebrews has decribed in fairly strong language what the shrinkers are like: spurning the Son of God, profaning the blood of the covenant, and outraging the Spirit of grace. Is there recourse for these people, or even hope? The passage's strong words, "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God," leads one to think that their end is not good. What serious words!

By contrast, what characterized the faithful? To begin with, they endured hard stuggles with suffering, and while exposed to reproach and aflliction still had compassion on those who were imprisoned. No doubt, imprisionment was never far from their minds. Enduring even more, they joyfully accepted the plundering of their possessions because of the knowledge of the better possession and the abiding one. The mindset of these people reminds me of Philippians where Paul said that he counted all things as loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus his Lord. These people lived for the better possession and the abiding One, their lives were totally surrendered to God for His service no matter the cost. And it appears as if the cost was heavy!

Since they had lived with this life altering eternal focus, the author says "do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward." What is that reward? It is the promise of Jesus' coming for those who had endured and had done the will of God. Why such an admonition? I wonder if the author was afraid of their discouragement or even giving up in light of severe persecution. Even in the strongest believer, there is always the nagging flesh seeking its control, spreading its discouragement, and trying to defeat the Spirit within. So Hebrews gives a huge encouragement to hold on to the confidence which brings great reward.

Then author ends this section with strongly, positive words. "We are not of those who shrink back... but of those who have faith and preserve their souls." How exciting! As I think about this passage, I wonder how I would endure in the light of severe persecution. What do I have to go through in America? I have no fear of imprisonment, of reproach, or affliction. However, whatever I have or have not endured, I can say with confidence that I know the abiding One, and He will never let me go! I know the promised reward, and I live my life with an eternal focus! But most importantly, all this I know not through my own strength, but through the grace of God. In my own strength, I would probably become a shrinker, but in the grace of God, His strength becomes my all. His strength is perfected in my weakness!

Father,
Through Your abiding One keep me ever faithful to the eternal view of You and Your reward. Give me Your strength to endure and to follow in the steps of Jesus who suffered unbelievably that I might live in newness of life.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment