Thursday, August 26, 2010

Divine Power

II Peter 1:3-4
"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence, by which He has granted to us His precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire."
Amazingly, His power has given me all that I need for life and godliness. It's a gift! Not only it is gracious of God, but it is a necessity. What kind of godliness could I produce without grace? None! The verse goes on to say that through His great and precious promises, I become a partaker of His divine nature. It's through the Word!! The Word is the key!! God's gift to me comes wrapped in His Word. I need to unwrap it, all of it! His Word is more than a book, it is living and alive with the power to give me godliness and escape this world's corruption.
If I want to be godly, and I do, then I must unwrap the Word allowing it to consume my life. Verse 5 says "For this very reason, make every effort..." Here is the meeting ground of grace and works. Grace is the gift of godliness in the Word, but saturating myself in the Word is my responsibility. My time in the Word is a discipline of grace. If I am in His Word, then Christian character will follow: faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, godliness, brotherly affection, and love. Godliness in its entirety is a gift of grace found only in the Word. It is the gift that keeps on giving, not as a one time opening, but a continuous flow. His grace is new every morning for the very reason that I need new grace every morning if I am to be godly. I can't earn godliness by working extra hard, but I can hook up to God's source of godliness. I can keep the grace flowing non-stop!
Father,
Thank you for such an amazing grace and gift of godliness. As I come to Your Word, show me how to fill my tank and live godly bringing glory to Your name. Let Your grace be my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment