Monday, August 23, 2010

The Hidden Person of the Heart

I Pet. 3:4

"But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

When I think of my adorning, I get somewhat insecure. How do I look? Am I fashionable or at the least acceptable? How am I perceived in the eyes of others? I know that those thoughts have been in my head many times, but have I spent as much time wondering if my heart is reflected in my countenance? Have I nourished that hidden person? When I go out the door, what is the last thing I check, my overall appearance or the condition of my heart? When I get together with others, am I looking for ways to lift others up by being gentle and quiet myself, or am I looking around to see how I compare?

This verse says that my hidden person of the heart has an imperishable beauty, an immortality that only comes from being born again, born of grace and sustained by grace. Through grace, my hidden person can grow and become gentle and quiet. Why gentle and quiet? Could it be so that I will always be listening to the Spirit within me Who is cultivating my growth in holiness? If my inner man is constantly talking, planning, taking control, and busy, will I hear the voice of the Spirit? It would seem that if He produces gentleness and quietness, then He must speak in a similar way. Am I having quiet time with Him for the purpose of growing my hidden person of the heart? The thing about external beauty is that it fades. Women are constantly having tucks, using creams and potions to try maintain or even regain their youth, but it will never happen. Imperishability comes only in the internal realm. So why so much emphasis on the external? Seems foolish!

In addition to imperishability, my hidden person is valued by God. To be precious to God is a thing to be treasured. Since He is concerned with my soul and spirit, with my hidden person, then what should be my top priority? My hidden person of the heart! In theory, this is simple to understand, but in reality, how does it happen? How do I quit caring so much about the external and focus on the internal? How do I eliminate my green eyes scanning others and be contented with my exterior while taking joy in my interior? How do I love others for their hidden person without being distracted by their appearance?
Father,
Open my eyes to the joy and beauty of the hidden person of heart that You desire. Help me to treasure you above all other things, even my own flesh and self-image. Send Your grace to flood my flesh and wash away this foolishness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment