Monday, August 16, 2010

Stay Awake

Mk. 13:37

"And what I say to you, I say to all."

Concerning the hour of the return of the Lord, no one knows, not even the angels. It is a timetable set by the sovereign Father. But Jesus does give me some warnings for preparedness. "Be on guard. Keep awake. For you do not know the time will come." What should I guard against? Apparently it is falling asleep on the job and being ready for departure. I know that the night before I fly somewhere, I barely sleep. I am thinking about everything that I need to take and when I need to be ready. The trip is of prime importance to me. The same goes for Jesus' return. In fact, even more so. I must be watchful and awake lest Jesus come and find me asleep. How sad if I missed Him over something as inconsequential as sleep!

Jesus' statement brings to mind the parable of the virgins and the lamps. The ones who were not prepared with their oil had to make a last minute trip back into town. It was during their shopping trip, that the master came. Harsh though it sounds, He did not wait. I am sure that those virgins had good intentions, but the best of intentions can go awry when they counter the commands of Jesus. Jesus wants me to be ready with my lamp lit and my eyes wide open not glazed over with sleep.

The other account that I think of when I read this is when Jesus went to pray and asked three of His disciples to go with Him. He asked them to watch with Him three separate times, and each time, they were overcome with sleepy flesh. Jesus admonished them saying, "Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak." Perhaps this is what Jesus meant when He said to be on guard. Be on guard against weak flesh and temptation. When I am sleepy spiritually, then temptations seem not so bad, in fact, sometimes even the right choice. Jesus is calling for a constant vigil so that my flesh is not defeating my spirit.

These warnings are serious and important, but at the same time in I Thess. it speaks of encouraging one another with the words of Jesus' return. When I am wakefully guarding my heart and my spirit, I also need to be longing for His coming. I need to look forward to it with joy, but this is hard if I am asleep and unguarded.

Father,
Through Your grace, help me to watch and be on guard. Help my eager longing to unite with my wide-awake watching, so that I am ready to meet Him.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment