Wednesday, January 5, 2011

An Arbiter

Job 9:32-33
"For He is not a man, as I am, that I might answer Him, that we should come to trial together. There is no arbiter between us, who might lay His hand on us both."

Job has not only endured the loss of all that was important to him in this world, but he has endured the comments of his friends who assume he had sinned against God. They saw no other reason that God would allow such suffering. It must be judgment! Actually, I have had friends who felt much the same way, who felt that anytime bad things happened, sin was to blame. In fact, for many years I thought that too. But in Job's case, it was not so. It was to bring glory to God. This fact alone is an encouragement to me when my life turns 'job-ish'. Do I bring glory to God in the midst of my suffering and affliction?

 Job finally spoke. He realized the great gulf between God and him, that is that God is not a man! Such a simple statement, but such understanding in light of the great number of people who try to make God over in their own image. Job's faith had a strong basis in God's sovereignty and His nature. Likewise, I need always to remember His sovereignty when things get difficult, to remember that He knows my end from my beginning, and to remember that He knows His plan and purpose for my life. My part is to trust Him even in suffering.

Then Job went on to say that he had no arbiter as a go-between with God. That is sad! I can rejoice because I do. I have Jesus Christ, my mediator, who paid the price for my redemption and has put me in good standing with God. This is another great fact that I cling to when the storms come. Since Jesus wants me to be one with Him as He is with the Father, He intercedes for me to that end. It is very likely that suffering and pain will be integral to the answer of His prayer. As I endure, Jesus floods me with grace to go the course.
Grace is the key to desiring to do the will of God, to delight in God even in trial, and to trust Him implicitly.

Father,
Thank You for Jesus my intercessor and for the hope I have in Him. Keep me true and focused when trials come into my life.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment