Monday, January 17, 2011

Beer-lahai-roi

Gen. 16:13
'"So she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, 'You are a God of seeing,' for she said, 'Truly here I have seen Him who looks after me.'"

Hagar had fled for her life because of the mistreatment of Sarah in a situation of Sarah's own creating. As she rested near a spring of water, the angel of the Lord spoke to her. Whether or not this angel was the preincarnate Christ, He spoke the words of God telling her to go back to Sarah and submit. She would be blessed by God with a large number of descendants that would become the enemies of God's chosen people. Yet God's eyes and ears were in tune with her. In particular, she would have Ishmael because the Lord had listened to her affliction. God's sovereign purposes are not limited to those who are His chosen ones.

This passage described a servant bemoaning her lot in life, yet God had seen and heard what she had said and what she had endured. What a tremendous blessing! Even though God had a plan for Hagar's life that involved the creation of an entire nation, she was most impressed with the personal nature of God. After the entire encounter, she identified God as the One who saw her and took care of her. She was rejoicing in her personal relationship with God as opposed to the blessings that she would receive. As I see God work in my life, am I focused more on Him or on what He does for me? Am I constantly remembering that He is the God who sees and listens? Do my actions and my words reflect this belief?

I think it is meaningful for me that this encounter happened at a well. So that God and I may interact personally, I am filled with living water that springs up into eternal life. As I grow in Him, I know Him by the Word, the water of the Word that refreshes me because He is my shepherd, and "leads me beside still waters."  I praise God because He sees and hears me!

Father,
Thank You for meeting me at the well everyday and growing me through Your Words. Help me to cherish our relationship more than anything. Thank You for seeing and hearing me every moment of my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment