Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tears of Joy

Gen. 43:30
"Then Joseph hurried out, for his compassion grew warm for his brother, and he sought a place to weep. And he entered his chamber and wept there."

What great joy when Joseph finally saw his younger brother! I can only imagine how many emotions flooded Joseph after being deprived of family for so many years. Even though the tables were turned and Joseph had his brothers at a disadvantage, his heart was warmed with compassion for Benjamin not consumed with hatred and revenge for the other brothers. Because his heart was right with God, his emotions were honoring to God also. When I am tempted to be angry, revengeful, jealous, etc., I need to pray that my heart will be warmed with compassion. Even though Joseph could have been justified in feeling harshly toward his brothers, that is from a human standpoint, he did not indulge in those feelings. He rested in God's sovereign plan and purpose. He had seen that what his brothers meant for evil, God meant for good. When the heart is right before God, it can be warmed with compassion toward others.

Father,
As negative thoughts intrude in my heart, reveal them to me, and replace them with your great love and compassion. Warm my heart with compassion toward all those that you bring into my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment