Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Withold Nothing

Gen. 22:12
"Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me."

God was testing Abraham to see where his heart truly was. After Abraham had waited for years to have a son, God wanted to see if he was willing to give that son to God. The account does not mention a word of hesitation or questioning, instead it says that Abraham rose early, saddled his donkey, and took off. Rising early speaks to me of an eagerness to obey God's directives. Later, when Abraham was questioned by Isaac about the actual sacrifice, Abraham replied that God would provide Himself a sacrifice. Abraham's faith in God seemed amazing, but the apex came when he bound Isaac on the altar. How difficult that must have been! No wonder he is known as a man of faith, a faith that was counted to him as righteousness.

God intervened at the last moment providing a ram in the thicket. Isaac was saved, and Abraham's heart was proved true to God. Appropriately, Abraham named the place, The Lord will provide. What a convicting story! Is my heart true to God? Would I be able to willingly give up a child? Even though I say God is first in my life, is He really? God desires my affections, my heart completely. He wants nothing to pull me away from Him. I can only imagine a situation like this, but I know that God-given grace had to be given in huge measure.

Father,
Purify my heart so that it is focused completely on You. Grow me into a faith that produces righteousness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment