Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Laughter

Gen. 21:6
"And Sarah said, 'God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh over me."

Sarah has a history with laughter. Earlier in chapter 18, she laughed at the words of God. She secretly doubted and mocked God's Words, but in this verse Sarah attributes the laughter to God. Here she is happy and fulfilled with the child of the promise, and the reality of the promise has changed even her laughter! Previously, when Sarah's laughter welled up from the flesh, it made her doubt God. But her pride did not deter God. His promise and words were faithful and true. When the promise became a reality, her laughter had changed. Her doubt had changed to praise. So much so that the mocking laughter of others did not shake her faith in God. Amazingly, God's power can be seen in a simple thing like laughter. Is my laughter pleasing to God? Do I laugh doubtingly at His promises? Do I allow my fears and emotions to limit my rejoicing in the great work of God's hand? Am I praising Him in all my human responses and emotions? Am I faithful even when others are mocking?

Father,
You are a great God with words that are unchanging and unaffected by human mocking. Change my heart so that all my responses are honoring to You. Keep me faithful so that the mocking laughter of the world does not affect my stand for You.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment