Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Blessed Be the Name of the Lord

Job. 1:20-22
'"Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, "Naked I came from  my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong."

Job has just lost all material possessions, wealth, and even family, which no doubt was the worst loss of all. Yet, what was his instant response? Worship! What an example! He put his faith in a sovereign God whose plan and purpose was overall; and in doing this, he forfeited his right to know and understand what God was doing. His faith was full-bodied and implicit, with no questioning at all. Wow! Of course, he could not sustain this attitude. Once Satan attacked his body, his strength was frayed. Ongoing physical suffering wore down his endurance, and his questioning attitude surfaced. I am sure that his so-called friends and wife contributed to that. I find it interesting that Satan did not take his wife. Perhaps, he knew that wives often have sharp tongues, tongues that Satan felt would be useful to him. A little warning for me! What is my tongue like when circumstances go bad? Am I in attack mode seeking someone to blame, or am I resting in God and helping my husband do the same?

What I love is how is how Job instantly fell  into worship when his life was crashing in around him. This is what I want to do! I want my heart to be so close to God that whatever comes, I can say, Blessed be the name of God. It is also a check on my grasp on materialism. How tightly am I holding on to my possessions, my home, and my family? Am I keeping an eternal perspective? Am I focusing on the things that really matter? Am I helping my family pursue what is truly important in life? Certainly, all believers would say what Job said when things were good, and they would even truly believe it. But when life turns bad, its a different thing to still act in accordance with that belief. What great verses for memorization and meditation! What great verses to keep in the forefront of my mind!

Father,
Build my trust in You so that I may respond like Job did when life goes sour. Keep my perspective eternal and my grasp on this world lose, so lose that I let go easily.
In Jesus name,
Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment