Saturday, January 22, 2011

Then God Remembered

Gen. 30:22
"Then God remembered Rachel, and God listened to her and opened her womb."

Rachel's life was full of bitterness and envy. In fact, the passage says she envied her sister who was fertile and had many sons. Not only that, but she went to Jacob saying, "Give me children or I shall die!" Such desperation! Jacob's answer acknowledged that only God could make this happen. But instead of waiting for God's timing, she started a competitive birthing cycle. Many sons were born, but it didn't ease the pain in Rachel's heart. When God finally remembered and opened her womb, she said, "God has taken away my reproach." God's timing is the only thing that eases and comforts a despairing heart. Man's efforts only make the pain worse and the situation more complicated. Am I content to wait on God?

Father,
Teach me to wait submissively for Your timing. Reveal my self-sufficiency and replace it with dependency on You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. that passage is so crazy! It shows me that God can use the most flawed people to carry out His plans!

    ReplyDelete