Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fixed by God

Gen. 41:32
"...the thing is fixed by God and God will shortly bring it about."

The next chapter of Joseph's story continues to illustrate God's sovereign hand. Joseph is finally brought out of prison to interpret Pharaoh's dreams, and out of this situation, he was given power over all the land of Egypt. As if this is not enough, he supervised the plan for food preservation thus preserving the life of the nation. When his family was starving, they came to Egypt to buy food. As God would have it, they bought it from Joseph thus fulfilling Joseph's original dream. What God had fixed did come about!

Joseph's life was blessed with children, and in their naming, he proclaimed God's sovereignty as well. His firstborn was named Manasseh for "God has made me forget all my hardship and all my father's house."  Because his life was in tune with God, he realized that God was responsible for all that had happened to him. He named his second born Ephraim, "For God has made me fruitful in the land of affliction." God's hand was not stayed by deceptive brothers, by a conniving wife, or by a forgetful butler. What man meant for evil, God meant for good.

To live in constant awareness of God's sovereign hand requires a new way of thinking, one which doesn't allow human intervention, revenge, or self-pity. Like Joseph, I would trust Him through the bad and the good not wondering why, but instead waiting patiently. "And we know that all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose."  When I live like all things in my life are for my good, then I can rest in God's purposes,but when my pride and self-sufficiency are in control, then my attitude and heart will be questioning and my actions will be trying to find a way out of the situation. My decision must be to rest in God's sovereign plan and purposes because what He has fixed will come about!

Father,
Teach me this attitude of submissively accepting what You bring into my life. Keep me open and aware, never forgetting that what You fix will come to pass.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment