Monday, January 3, 2011

Intentions

Gen. 8:21
"...for the intentions of man's heart is evil from his youth."
Although man's heart is evil continually, God declared He wouldl never curse the ground again with a flood. Sadly, the flood did not change human nature, but God's provision for human nature did. Noah's first course of action was to build an altar and offer a sacrifice with a twofold purpose: praise and atonement. In spite of man's evil heart, an atonement was possible. That atonement then was in the sacrifice of birds, but eventually it would come in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. As the aroma of Noah's offering ascended, it was pleasing to the nostrils of God just as the sacrifice of the Lamb of God was supremely pleasing to the nostrils of God. Jesus offered Himself for me so that I might be pleasing to God.

I praise God for His gift of love that atoned for my sin, for His sending Jesus to pay my penalty, and for His redeeming me to be His child. But at the same time, I am still in the flesh. I must always remember the intentions of my heart are evil. Apart from Jesus Christ and the Word of God, I have no hope. My new nature doesn't change the fact that I am still in the flesh, but through Jesus' sacrifice, I don't have to yield to sin. I am no longer under its dominion, instead, I now wage a 24/7 war with sin. But thanks be to God who gives me the victory through Jesus Christ!

Father,
Help me keep my focus eternal and not on the shifting values of my flesh. My heart is full of thanks and praise for my atonement through Jesus Christ.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment