Sunday, January 16, 2011

Belief Equals Righteousness

Gen. 15:6
"And he believed the Lord, and He counted it to him as righteousness."

Abram's relationship with God was personal and vital. At the beginning of this chapter, the word of the Lord came to Abram saying that He would be a shield to Abram, and bless him with a great reward. Imagine having God speak to you personally declaring His unlimited protection, protection from warring nations, from interpersonal strife, from family problems, and from sadness over the lack of a son. Whatever would come into Abram's life, God would be his shield, deflecting whatever would be trying to take him down. Quite a promise! 

God had reassured Abram that his heir would be his very own son. To Abram's heart these were words of great hope. In fact, He had Abram look at the stars in the sky to see the  number of his descendants. No doubt at this time, Abram was hoping for one descendant not an innumerable amount, but Abram did not scoff or doubt, he believed. How important to believe the words of God Almighty! Because he believed, God counted it as righteousness to him. What grace! There was not an action or formulaic steps that Abram must accomplish; instead, just belief! How simple and yet how difficult! Belief in the words of Almighty God, the God who was His shield.

This same God is my shield. His words come to me repeatedly throughout the day and night, and are completely at my disposal. I think that a faith like Abrams' comes from the living words of God indwelling me. I must have a deeply personal relationship with God so that belief is my spiritual process. My works and efforts amount to nothing, but belief is everything. "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting..."

Father,
Draw me close to You so that Your words are my life's blood. Build my faith so that I might walk by faith in Your promises.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment