Saturday, January 1, 2011

Interpretation

Gen. 3:3
'"but God said, "You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die."'

Eve repeated God's instruction but with her own spin; sadly, it was not a good spin. The serpent questioned her about what God had said, and instead of responding with the exact words of God, she responded with only partial  details, leaving out the crucial part about about the tree being a tree of life. Seems to be a pretty important detail! Then she added an idea of her own saying that she couldn't touch the tree. Once she did that she had diluted the truth significantly. When truth is diluted, it is easy to swallow a lie, and Satan was there ready to hand-feed her palatable lies. She rationalized that the tree was good for food, that it was delightful to her eyes, and that it would make her wise. Whoa! Who wouldn't take a bite of that? As God had said, her one bite changed the course of life from that point on. Death was now a reality!

What a warning to me as I begin this new year!
  • Don't rationalize the word of God!
  • Don't misquote or misinterpret God's word, but instead saturate myself in it to the degree that His words are a vital part of my life.
  • Make obedience the highest priority in my life by not rationalizing a behavior or decision according to its practicality, usefulness, beauty, or its educational potential. 
  • Keep my eyes firmly focused on my relationship with God letting nothing drag me away from my time with Him.
"For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account." Heb. 4:12-13

Father,
As I begin this year, give me Your grace and strength to obey, to be in Your Word, and to be faithful to its commands.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment