Sunday, January 2, 2011

Crouching Sin

Gen. 4:7
"If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it."

Because Cain's sacrifice was not acceptable, he knew that his best was not enough. A hard lesson for him! He could not take the criticism because his pride was in control. Instead, jealousy consumed him leading to hatred and murder, a rash act that changed the course of his life. Sin was indeed crouching at his door desiring to control him; sadly, he surrendered to its control.

The image of sin crouching reminds me of I Pet. 5:8, "Be sober-minded, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."  The lion is not strolling or getting exercise, instead he is hunting for the souls of those who are unaware, of those who are self-willed and stiff-necked, of those who refuse to surrender to God. Is sin crouching at my door as well? Definitely, and so many times, I am unaware until I have fallen prey. The narrative of Cain and the warning of Peter speak to my heart. I must always "watch and pray"  that I don't surrender to the ploys of crouching sin.

Father,
I confess my many failures and ask for Your grace and strength. Help me to be ever watching and praying.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment