Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Success in the Midst of Injustice

Gen. 39:2
"But the Lord was with Joseph, and he became a successful man..."

Even though Joseph had been sold by his own brothers into the land of Egypt, the Lord was with him. While there, he became successful and trusted by his master. However, before long, another problem loomed into his life, the wife of his master. After she made advances toward Joseph, she framed him by accusing him of the very thing that she had tried to do. It seemed as if his integrity and character were for naught when his master threw him into prison. Once again, it says, "But the Lord was with Joseph and showed him steadfast love and gave him favor in the eyes of the keeper of the prison."  Then in prison, he interpreted the dreams of the butler and baker asking the butler to remember him, but the butler did not. It was another two years before Joseph was summoned by Pharaoh. Joseph could have bemoaned this unjust treatment. If anyone deserved a pity party, he did. But he did not because the Lord was with him.

Joseph's life definitely demonstrates the sovereign hand of God at work in the life through the good and the bad. His will and purpose are not thwarted by evil men and by unjust circumstances. In fact, the Lord becomes very real when injustice comes into play. Joseph knew God was with him, and instead of bemoaning his treatment, he waited for God to work. Do I trust God through the good and the bad circumstances? Am I willing to wait patiently for His timing? Do I rejoice because He is with me? What a wonderful phrase, The Lord was with him. That is all that I need to remember, that Lord is with me.

Today, I am having finger surgery because of a silly accident. Instead of feeling stupid and wanting to kick myself, I need to rest in the fact that the Lord is with me. Instead of thinking of the cost of surgery, I need to rest in the fact that the Lord is with me. My accident did not catch Him by surprise because all my days were formed before I existed. He knows the way that I will take, and His final purpose is to bring me forth as gold.

Father,
Keep me focused on Your sovereign hand. Help me not to get overwhelmed by the circumstances of life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment