Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Consecrate Yourselves

Lev. 11:44
"For I am the Lord your God, consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy."

In the midst of many restrictions concerning animals, birds, insects, disease, and even childbirth comes the  main point. God wanted these directives obeyed because His people needed to be holy as He was holy. In God's economy, these restrictions separated His people from other people. When they obeyed, they honored Him as the creator and decider of how His creation should be used. In Acts 10 God Himself annulled these distinctions making it clear to Peter that there was no partiality with God either in food, animals, or peoples. God still commands me to be holy. "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as He who called you is holy, so also be holy in all your conduct." His holiness is my holiness and should be reflected in my response to others. "Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart..." The identifying mark of my relationship with God is not distinctives of food, animals, or even people, but it is love, love for all without partiality.

Father,
Keep my heart obedient so that I will be transformed into your holiness. Crucify my fleshly passions and infuse me with Your love and grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment