Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sovereign God

Ex. 10-12
"that you may know that I am the Lord."
"That my wonders may be multiplied in the land of Egypt."

This passage gives some understanding into why God does what He does. Whether there are natural disasters, plagues on livestock and the land, death, hardening of the heart, deliverance of people, and even plundering of people by their willing gifts, God's will and purpose are responsible. He is behind all, the negative and the positive. In the past when I had read about Pharaoh, I had often thought he got a raw deal because his heart was hardened, but now I see that God mentioned that fact to show that He even hardens the heart. He orchestrates all of life. What a hard concept to grasp! Man likes to think he makes his own decisions and shapes his own destiny, but that can not be true if God is sovereign. In two places God states why He brings all this to pass: so man may know He is the Lord, and so that His wonders will be evident. God wanted all Israel and Egypt to realize He was the sovereign God. He made this fact known through the many wonders that he had Moses and Aaron do. What a hard concept to grasp! How was Israel spared on the night that death went through the country? By the blood on the doorposts, by the Passover lamb. "When I see the blood, I will pass over you." It is the same for me. It is the blood of the Lamb of God that gives me eternal life and gives me status as a child of God, a child whose heart is circumcised and obedient.

Father,
Thank You for teaching me more about Your ways in the hearts of man. Soften my heart for obedience to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen


1 comment:

  1. I have struggled with that as well. I like the perspective - thanks.

    ReplyDelete