Saturday, February 5, 2011

Eagles' Wings

Ex. 19:4
"You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine."

What a way to travel! It is interesting to note that they were traveling from somewhere to somewhere. It was not just an escape from Egypt, but it was a plan to bring them right to God. They had personally seen this great deliverance unlike the generations to follow who just heard the stories of these great events. Their lives and hearts had experienced the miraculous saving power of a God who wanted them to be His treasured possession. But their relationship all hinged on one thing: obedience. Obedience to God and His covenant would be their provision since all the earth was His. There would be no worries over famine or oppression, but instead they would be valued and treasured by the creator God. 

These same eagles' wings are mine! "They who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."  His grace fills me and brings me to Him. Is obedience key to my relationship as well? Yes, the NT is rampant with commands that require obedience. Jesus Himself had to learn obedience. "Although He was a son, He learned obedience through what He suffered."  Can a servant be different from his master? I am to follow in His footsteps. "For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His footsteps."  Am I too a treasured possession? "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession..." Yes, I am His possession, carried on eagles' wings with a heart willing to obey.

Father,
Keep me ever aware of Your great power and the eagles' wings that are ready to deliver me. Give me Your strength to follow in His steps and learn obedience.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment