Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Shining Face

Ex. 34:29
"Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God."

What a relationship Moses had with God! Moses listened to the words of God as he communed with his friend, the God of the universe. What intimacy to be called a friend of God!
And the Lord would speak with Moses...Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend...
Moses wanted to know the ways of God and to find favor with God. He was seeking God's grace as he interceded for the nation since Israel's sin had removed God from their midst. God responded by giving Moses favor.
I will make my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name, The Lord. And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.
Even though the fate of the nation rested ultimately with the mercy of God, God wanted to be closer with Moses and honor Moses' request.
Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.
What care God bestowed on Moses! He not only protected him, but he cherished their relationship.  After Moses cut the new stone tablets and went up the mountain with the Lord, God descended and stood with Moses proclaiming His name. Unimaginable!
The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty...
Moses' response was humility and worship as he pleaded for the people again asking that God be in their midst. This began his 40 day/night food-free stay with the Lord as he transcribed what the Lord said on the tablets of stone. When Moses came down from the mountain, his face shone because he had been talking with God! Wow! It shone so much that Moses had to cover his face with a veil every time he went in to speak with the Lord.

What is my time with the Lord like? Am I visibly changed when I worship? Is my heart for others when I pray? Do I seek His glory above all? I praise God that He has protected me in the cleft of the Rock, Jesus Christ and given me safety in His hands. Is a relationship like Moses had with God a one-of-a-kind?  What about Moses was different from others or even from Aaron who worked side-by-side with him in the miracles? Why did Aaron go into calf-building while Moses sought the higher ground and the glory of God? The answer: I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious...God's sovereign will and purpose ultimately controls all, but Moses' heart must have been singularly focused on God. What is the focus of my heart?

Father,
Focus my heart on You as I seek to glorify You by my obedience. Take my will and my way out of our relationship so that You are my all.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment