Saturday, February 19, 2011

Why Obey?

Lev. 20:7-8
"Consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, for I am the Lord your God. Keep my statutes and do them; for I am the Lord who sanctifies you."

In the midst of many commands about a myriad of situations, there is one resounding, often repeated statement, "I am the Lord your God." In chapter 18, God declared himself this way 16 times. The single overriding reason for obedience was the fact that He was their God. As their God, He was their Sanctifier and the One who could make them holy. The same goes for me. I must obey the commands of the Word because He is my God and Sanctifier. It doesn't matter that I don't understand the commands or that they are problematic in any way. What matters is that my Holy God has said it, and His words are my path to holiness, a holiness provided by the grace of my Sanctifier. Am I constantly aware of the truth and the presence of the I am? What are my reasons for obedience? Is my heart pure and sincere?

Father,
Keep my heart obedient and resting in You as my sovereign God. Teach me submission to You and purify my desires so that Your holiness is all that I want.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment