Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pay Attention

Ex. 23:13
"Pay attention to all that I have said to you, and make no mention of the names of other gods, not let it be heard on your lips."

God has given the rules, statutes, and even laws that comprise His covenant with His people, His treasured possession. After many specifics, God seems to emphasize one specific area, that is idolatry. It seems to go beyond committing idolatry to just having the name of another god on their lips. Why so severe? Could it reflect what God has already told them? " I the Lord your God am a jealous God." His holiness dictated that His possessions be free of contamination. Sadly, in just a few short chapters, the people have gone far beyond mentioning a false god, to worshipping one. How quickly man falls! God's injunction, if obeyed, would have been a safeguard for His people.

For me, it is similar: "Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry."  Why flee? Perhaps the inroads that idolatry makes are so covert that I could be infected without even knowing it. I John even ends with this warning, children, keep yourself from idols." What is involved in this keeping? Having a guard and being constantly vigilant, but more than just the negative side, I should have the One True God in my life to the exclusion of all other things. He should fill me with His holiness. Later in Ex. 23 it says, "You shall make no covenant with them and their gods. They shall not dwell in your land, lest they make you sin against me, for if you serve their gods, it will surely be a snare to you." Sin and its presence and power seems so blatant. I might think that I could certainly spot it, but it comes as a snare, a trick, a trap to take me down. Therefore, I must flee. I must run into the arms of my God.

Father,
Reveal to me the inroads that idolatry has worn into my heart and life. Give me your eyes to spot and avoid the snares so that I do not sin against You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment