Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fear and Grumbling

Ex. 14:10
"And they feared greatly."

The Israelites had just been delivered from 400 plus years of bondage in Egypt. God had worked visibly  and miraculously to bring this about. Even though His hand of deliverance had been powerful, they instantly let fear overtake them as soon as Pharaoh drew near them in the wilderness. How strong and how blinding is human fear! It would seem that they did not think that a God who rescued them could be the same God who could keep them safe. Moses gave the solution for this fear:"Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent." What do I need to do when fear overtakes me? Stand firm, trusting in my Sovereign God, the one who has orchestrated my entire life. My fight is done by the Lord. I only have to be silent. What grace!

Moses obeyed the Lord and stretched his hand over the Red Sea and the people passed through on dry land. Then the Lord commanded the reverse action on the confused and frenetic Egyptians who were covered over by the water. What God had said did come to pass! They would never see these Egyptians again! "Israel saw the great power of the Lord used against the Egyptians, so the people feared the Lord, and they believed in the Lord and in His servant, Moses." Yet it was only 3 days after this great victory and the great songs of deliverance and celebration that bitter water undid the people again. Instead of trusting in a God of unlimited power, they grumbled. How weak is human flesh! Many times at the first obstacle, the human tendency is to see only the obstacle and not the hand of God. Do I keep my eyes focused on God when human obstacles come into my life? Do I allow the fear of circumstances to separate me from God? Am I fearful or even grumbling at what God has placed in my life? Do I believe in his promises that all things in my life are for my good, even bitter water and a pursuing army?

Father,
Vanquish my fear and discontented grumbling. Help me to see Your hand in all that is in my life and to use each thing as a stepping stone to walk closer to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment