Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Unauthorized Fire

Lev. 10:2-3
"And fire came before the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. Then Moses said to Aaron, this is what the Lord has said, among those who are near me, I will be sanctified and before all the people I will be glorified."

Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, were trained in the sacrifices, the offerings, and the right way to function in this holy office. They were called for this specific task. Yet, they rejected their training and chose to freelance. God does not approve of freelance offerings or of reigning self-will. Obviously, these men felt they had something to offer God and that their way was in some way superior to God's. But God answered that with a fatal NO! Their instant death showed that God's holiness can not be violated. Self-will always violates the holiness of God and can not be tolerated by a holy God.

God sent His son to be the saving sacrifice and the only way to be saved. Any other option, method, or plan is an violation of the holiness of God and will be fatally ineffective. As a chosen believer, I am to be holy as He is holy not as I envision holiness. He did not choose me because I had something that He wanted to use or because He was short on plans and needed help. He chose me because of His great grace. Not only is my salvation is a gift that brings Him glory, but my life is the temple of the Holy Spirit and whatever I offer to God must be of grace not of unauthorized fire. My will and my way must be crucified with Christ. His grace is my sufficiency, and His power is made perfect in my weakness therefore I rejoice in my weaknesses that the power of God may rest upon me.

Father,
Convict me when my desire for 'strange fire' surfaces. Keep me ever seeking Your holiness, Your way, and Your glory.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment