Friday, January 6, 2012

Due His Righteousness

Ps. 7:17
I will give to the Lord the thanks due to His righteousness, and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.

Why do I give thanks to God? Is it because I am grateful for the good things that He has given me? Am I thankful only when things are going well? Sadly, this is true some of the time. Why? Perhaps it is not related to my ungrateful spirit although that could be a definite problem in my life, but is related to my incorrect understanding of thankfulness. My thankfulness should be related to His righteousness. It should be based on my spiritual relationship with Jesus, my awareness of who He is. Am I as thankful for the cross, salvation, sanctification, His word, etc. as I am for blessings that are focused more on this earth? There is the crux of the problem. My thankfulness is not usually based in the character and nature of God. It focuses more on the temporal blessings in my life; instead my values need to focus on His righteousness. Sadly, I am still holding on to the things in this world, the pride of life, the lust of the eyes, and the lust of the flesh.When my head and my heart are in love with Him, then I will be full of thanks because of this new life He has given me.

Father,
Draw me close to You so that I might know You in all Your fullness. Teach me what it truly means to be thankful and offer You the thanks and praise that You are due.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment