Sunday, January 22, 2012

Within You

Lk. 17: 20-12
Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed,  nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or 'There!' for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you."

Once again the Pharisees were asking for the externals, for the observables, for the signs. They thought that if they could physically see, they could possibly believe or even understand. Yet Jesus said this was not His way. Sadly, their question revealed an even deeper issue, their heart attitude toward Jesus. Since they had rejected Him, they had no other recourse but to look forward to something else, to what they thought would be the true kingdom of God yet to come. But Jesus responded with a zinger! Behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you." I wonder if even that statement pricked their hearts. Did they feel curiosity or disdain? Did they in any way get what Jesus was saying?

How exciting! Jesus Himself is the kingdom of God. God's kingdom was there in the flesh for the people to see, hear, and touch. Even though I was not there,  He has offered Himself to me as the indwelling  kingdom of God. Amazingly, He lives within me and His Spirit leads me as I walk and grow in His kingdom. It is not through my belief in signs or externals, but it is all of grace by faith. My belief was a gift and my walk is a gift so that God might be glorified in all.

Father,
Thank You for choosing me to be Your child and to have the kingdom of God within me. Grow me in Your kingdom by Your grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment